Wondering when to visit the Seychelles? This handy guide has got you covered – when to plan your trip and the top tips you need to know.
Fresh off the back of a trip to the Seychelles, it’s safe to say I’m not going to stop gushing about the archipelago any time soon.
The 115 Seychelles islands really try to outshine each other with their marvellous beaches, epic hiking trails, and abundance of wildlife.
But the question is: When’s the best time to visit the Seychelles?
Fear not, pals. I’m here to help you discover everything you need to know about when to book your Seychellois getaway – from the top seasons to festivals and events you shouldn’t miss.
Ready? Let’s dive in.
Wanna Take a Sneak Peek? Check Out My Youtube Video on Planning Your Trip to the Seychelles!
When’s the Best Time to Visit Seychelles?: At A Glance
Look, any destination that sits as comfortably close to the equator as Seychelles is going to feel the full wrath of mother nature. Luckily for you though, the Seychelles is pretty decent (understatement of the year) at any time of the year.
Now before you go ahead and throw all caution to the wind, there are some important tidbits to keep in mind. First of all, thanks to splitting itself between two trade winds, not all months in Seychelles are totally equal.
From the end of November through to March, the Northwest Trade Wind brings the wet season. On the other hand, the Southeast Trade Wind turns the seas into a rough and tumble from May to September.
Considering the trade winds dictate much of what impacts your weather outlook for a Seychelles trip, you want to stay on their good side.
The Best Time to Visit Seychelles
What is the Best Month to Travel to Seychelles?
If you ask me, the best time to travel to Seychelles is either from April to early May or October and early November. This is when I like to plan my own trips to the archipelago.
Which of these delivers the best time on the islands depends entirely on what you want out of your adventure.
Though, let me caveat this by saying I’ve been to the islands during January and July, months some would consider not that great, and the weather wasn’t terrible. But the shoulder seasons are your go-to for the best tropical trip possible.
When’s High Season in Seychelles?
Undoubtedly the busiest months to visit Seychelles are December and February. This sits right in the middle of summer on the islands, and travel-wise, it’s the peak of the high season, which usually lasts till March.
As well as this, July and August are also busy months in the Seychelles. Summer is the best time to go to Seychelles for most holidaymakers, prices for almost everything skyrocket during this time of year.
You can expect travel costs, such as your flight tickets, to rise by a staggering 80%. This price hike also extends to accommodation, so decide where to stay in Seychelles early and book as far in advance as possible.
Although the potential knock to your budget might sound off putting, there’s nothing like experiencing the buzz of a Seychellois summer. It’s the holiday season for a reason, and the idyllic weather blends together to stir up some of that island magic I mentioned earlier.
So if you’re looking for the perfect winter sun destination to escape the cold, heading for Seychelles in the high season couldn’t be more of a great idea.
The Cheapest Time to Visit Seychelles
The cheapest months to visit the Seychelles are May and September. Ideal really, as these are the among the best couple of months to visit.
Yes, the rain tends to be more promiscuous during these months, but showers rarely last longer than a few hours. And the reward for sitting through the downpour is hours of sunshine. So you can still enjoy beach life and island vibes without paying an arm and a leg.
The most significant savings during the low season revolve around flights to Seychelles. Just as much as prices rise during the high season, when the low season comes around, they drop by just as much.
For Epic Water Sports
Look, not everyone is a pro windsurfer or a perfectly balanced kayaker, but if you’re even the tiniest bit of a water sports lover, head to Seychelles in June.
Not only do you get comfortable weather conditions, but the winds also pick up just enough to attempt (and enjoy) activities like kayaking, sailing, and of course, surfing.
To See the Seychelles Island Resorts
You can’t plan an adventure to the Seychelles and not include some time lounging underneath a stunning palm tree or diving into pristine waters.
And you may be wondering when is the best time to do this? The answer is April. Why? There’s no better time with almost no wind and very little rainfall.
For the Best Hiking
Outdoor lovers, if you want to go trekking while in the Seychelles, you’ll have to plan your trip for June.
The climate just does something unique with low humidity levels and cool breezes during this time. It is the ideal condition to trek through stunning places like Morne Seychellois National Park or hike to the Morne Blanc Viewpoint.
To See the Best Beaches
Autumn is a no-brainer if you’re stuck with the question of when to travel to Seychelles for its mesmerising beaches.
From September to November, temperatures drop from average highs, and tourist numbers dwindle. This makes having iconic beaches like Beau Vallon Bay and Anse Source d’Argent to yourself that much easier.
Seychelles by Season
Unlike many other spots around the world, the Seychelles has just two main seasons: Rainy and cool. Let’s explore them.
Rainy Season in the Seychelles
October – April
Many people worry about visiting the Seychelles during the rainy season (particularly in January), but I’m here to tell you that there’s really no need to be apprehensive.
Sure, you might face a shower or two throughout the day, but the heat means that it clears up quickly and you can get back to sunbathing again.
Key Events and Things to Do in the Seychelles in Rainy Season
- If you’re in Seychelles in December, you can’t skip (or miss) the Seychelles Ocean Festival, formerly the SUBIOS Underwater Festival. This promotes and celebrates marine heritage with exhibits, gala dinners, and film screenings.
- One of the major events during February is the annual Seychelles Eco-Friendly Marathon. If you’re not up for much running, head out exploring attractions such as Vallée de Mai.
- Amongst getting blissfully lost in nature, Semaine de la Francophonie, a week-long celebration of French culture, takes over the largest island of Mahé in March.
Pros to Travelling to Seychelles in the Rainy Season
- At the very start of the rainy season, you’ll have the perfect conditions for scuba diving and snorkelling as the calm waters of October make it a must-do addition to any things to do in Seychelles list.
- Seychelles in winter is the ideal escape from the cold weather normally associated with the chilly season.
Cons to Travelling to Seychelles in the Rainy Season
- Considering the impending trade winds change that follows October, weather can be unpredictable.
- January is the peak of the rainy season in Seychelles, with monsoons in full swing, so expect at least one heavy shower a day.
Cool/Dry Season in the Seychelles
May – September
So, you fancy visiting the Seychelles in the dry season? An excellent choice, I must say. Especially if you time it so that you’re there in May or the end of September.
During this season, winds blow from the south-east, and are a hell of a lot stronger than the ones that bluster throughout the rainy season. Temperatures also drop (though it’s still warm and sunny, don’t you worry!) which makes it a great time to hike without sweating too much.
Key Events and Things to Do in the Seychelles in Cool Season
- It can be quite windy at this time, so it’s an ideal spot for water sports like kayaking and sailing.
- There are quite a few celebrations in the Seychelles during the cool season, including the national holiday of the Seychelles on June 18th, the Festival of Classical Music, and a sailing regatta that is usually held in August.
- The Praslin Culinary & Arts Fiesta is a huge celebration that happens mid September every year. Expect it to be extremely busy on the island.
Pros to Travelling to the Seychelles in Cool Season
- The weather is the most significant advantage of the cool season as you get the hot weather, perfect for exploring, but without the rain.
- May and September are some of the cheapest times to visit the Seychelles.
Cons to Travelling to the Seychelles in Cool Season
- Dry periods (and sometimes droughts) in the Seychelles are now pretty common – the dry season is beginning to last longer.
- Some months (June-August) can be extremely windy.